With the introduction of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition Plus, we now have a reporting, analytics and data integration platform that can be used to report against data from both Oracle Datawarehouse and OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing) databases. Users of Oracle Business Intelligence Discoverer now have the opportunity to migrate existing Discoverer workbooks and End User Layer to this new toolset to take advantage of the interactive dashboards, data integration, alerting and report distribution features of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition Plus.
OBIEE analytics engine ideally works on a star schema, where as Discoverer runs on relational schema. Modifying existing Discoverer relational schema to a star schema and developing the ETL can be time consuming. In this scenario OBIEE can be used to report against OLTP sources.
The following options are available
- Migrate Discoverer EUL (Business Area) to OBIEE Repository (RPD and subject area)
- Convert Discoverer to BI Publisher workbooks
- Use Direct Database Request through a connection pool to a read only user to EBS. This bypasses the OBIE repository and should be used as an interim solution.
Migrating the EUL
OBIEE 11g Oracle includes the Oracle Discoverer Metadata Conversion Assistant, a utility that lets you generate the BI repository file (.Rpd) from a Discoverer EUL export (.EEx) . The file is called MigrateEUL.exe and is found in the directory Oracle_BI1/bifoundation/server/bin directory with OBIEE 11g.
The steps to perform this migration are:
1. Export of the EUL from Discoverer into a .EEX file.
2. Run the utility in Oracle BI 11g to convert the .EEX to a repository (.Rpd) file
3. Modify and refine the repository
4. Merge the repository to the existing repository and enable using OBIEE 11g Enterprise Manager
Convert Discoverer to BI Publisher workbooks
Extract the SQL from Discoverer workbooks to develop BI Publisher reports.
Use Direct Database Request
There is an option Direct Database Request on the very first page of the OBIEE Answers. This option is actually very useful especially when you have to call database function or execute some database specific commands. This document will help you understand how to use this option. We need a connection pool and the SQL behind the reports to generate OBIEE answers reports.