Creating Mobile Apps with Oracle BI Mobile App Designer
Starting the Oracle BI Mobile App Designer :
- Open a web browser and enter the URL for your instance of Oracle BIEE.
The Oracle Business Intelligence Sign In page is displayed.
- Enter the user name and password of a user with BI Author privileges or higher, and then click Sign In.
- Here it displays the default Oracle Business Intelligence home page.
- In the left navigation pane, under create, click Mobile App to start the Mobile App Designer.
- Otherwise you can access the Mobile App Designer by clicking on New then Mobile App form the header.
- The create Mobile App dialog box is displayed. Under Choose Target Device Type, Select Phone.
- On the next page, select the data source :
a) Under Choose a data source for your App, select BI Subject Area.
b) In the Subject Area drop-down list, select Sample Sales Lite.
- Click Save to open the Save As dialog box.
Under My Folders, create a new folder, as Mobile App Demo.
- Save the app as, First Mobile App in My Folders> Mobile App Demo folder, and then click save.
- The Mobile App Designer is displayed.
Exploring the Mobile App Designer Interface :
- The data source elements, Calculated Fields, filters and variables are listed in the navigation pane on the left side of the designer. You can drag and drop columns from the data source to the workspace to build the elements of your application.
- Notice that the pages of the apps are displayed in the sidebar.
- From the top of the designer you can save, undo, redo, cut, paste, and delete an item. Also, you can add components, preview and publish your application.
- To add a cover page to your application, click on the New Page, select cover.
- The Cover Page is displayed.
- Replace the default photo on the cover page with a custom photo :
Double click the image to open the Update Image dialog box.
- Select a new location for the image. You can specify a file from a local directory, a URL to an image file, or a data field from your data source for the image. Click Browse to select an image form the local directory.
- Click Insert to update the image on the cover page. You can resize the image after inserting it.
- Scroll to the bottom of the cover page to display the title text boxes. Double-click on the “Double Click to add title” and enter Sample App.
- You do not need a subtitle for this cover page. Remove the subtitle:
a) Select the subtitle text box (with the text “Double Click to add sub title”).
b) Click the Delete key.
The Subtitle text box is remove from the cover page.
- You want to make the cover image a little larger. First, select the Image tab, in the size section, change the width and height accordingly.
- You can add table, charts, maps, and so on, from the component add icon.
- Similarly, you can access controls to create different type of visualizations, by clicking on the Plugins.
Adding Pages to Your App :
- You can add pages to your app using either the provided layout options, or you can insert a blank page and design a custom layout. Click New Page on the left, select New Page > 2 Rows.
- A second page is added to the app. Select the first cell.
- Specify the subject area columns to define the chart :
From the Sample Sale Lite subject area, drag Revenue (located under Base Facts) to the Drop Value Here area of the chart.
- From the Sample Sales Lite subject area, drag Per Name Qtr (located under Time) to the Drop Label Here area of the chart.
- Resize the chart and add a Legend from the chart properties:
a) Drag the resize handle on the lower right corner of the chart to resize the chart to fit the cell.
b) From the chart properties on the right, note that Legend is selected to show the legend.
- Change the axis properties from the Axis tab.
a) From the Axis tab on the right, you set properties for the X and Y axis. From the axis tab, set the minimum revenue value to200Kand step as 5. Notice only revenue above 200K is shown. It does not show the revenue for 2009 Q4, because the revenue is below 200K. Also with step as 5, the grid lines for the chart become more dense.
b) Change the X axis Label font size to 11 pt.
c) Change the X axis label color to red.
- Next, insert another chart in the below cell. Click the add component icon, drag and drop the Chart to the bellow cell in the layout grid.
- Specify the subject area columns to define the chart :
a) From the Sample Sales Lite subject area, drag Revenue to the Value area of the chart.
b) From the Sample Sales Lite subject area, drag Organization to the series area of the chart.
- On the chart tab, select Chart Types > Pie > Pie to change the chart display type.
- The Pie Chart is displayed.
- In the right side pane, under the Chart tab, Check Data, so you can see the value of Revenue by Organization on each slice in percentage.
- Now you can see the data values in the Pie Chart.
- Next, insert another Page. Click the New Page icon, and select Blank.
- Another Page is added to your Application.
- Now, insert a table. Click the add components icon, and drag and drop the Table icon to the Blank page.
- Drag the following columns from the data source to the table :
- Per Name Qtr (located under Sample Sales Lite > Time)
- Product Type (located under Sample Sales Lite > Products)
- Product (located under Sample Sales Lite > Products)
- Revenue (located under Sample Sales Lite > Base Facts)
- Customize the table formatting :
Double-click the column header Per Name Qtr to edit the header. Replace Per Name Qtr with Quarter.
- Drag the column edges to resize the table columns.
- Select the data in the Revenue column. From the Formatting tab, from the Data Formatting drop-down list, select Currency.
Similarly, follow the steps for making the Total Revenue into Currency.
- Both Revenue and Total Revenue change to currency format.
- Add the right sidebar for the page:
a) Select Page 3 page, and click Sidebar in the page properties pane. Notice an arrow shows up on the upper right corner.
b) Click the arrow. Notice a column comes up with Drag data field here to create table message.
c) From the Sample Sales Lite subject area, drag and drop Product Type and Revenue. Format Revenue for Currency.
- d) Select Group By for Product Type.
- In the Pages list, clickPage 3to edit the page name. From the page properties Name field replace Page 3 with Revenue Analyses. You can also double-click the page name on the page and change the name. Similarly you can double-click the page title to change the page name.
Notice that when you press Enter, the page header in the layout pane also changes to Analyses.
- Click the save icon on the upper left to save your analyses.